Friday, April 12, 2013

Day At Historic Rock Castle 4/12/13

Research Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I didn't get to continue with costuming today. So, while I was waiting to find out what would be a good thing to help out with, I did some research for my paper. WOW, HOW I LOVE RESEARCH! I wonder why I want to do anything else?

What I found out today: I looked at many primary and secondary documents, including photographs. There was a picture that we think is the creek behind the house before the lake was put in. There is a house off in the distance that does look like RC. So, we can only guess. The river was damned in the 1950's, creating the lake. And, this was a very old photo, so it certainly can be. However, this is just speculation because it cannot be verified due to distance of the house in the photo.


 


I held in my hand three very important primary documents.... at least they were to me. There were two bills of sale for slaves. The transactions occurred in 1833. The other was General Smith's will, leaving his house, lands and slaves to be divided up between his heirs in certain order. I have read these things before. However, this is the first time that I have held actual - REAL- documentation in my hands.




It was sad and beautiful at the same time. These people were real, they had names, and they had lived here on these grounds. Let me be clear here. I am in no way saying that I agree with slavery. However, we must remember those people and recognize that they were part of the creation of our nation. To ignore this would be an insult to the Smiths and those that were in bondage. I can say that I honestly feel this








Other important documents that I got to see were land deeds and blue prints!


Here I am in the library, having a grand time pouring over all of the papers! Oh, how I love it!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Great T-Shirts and More!


See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...