Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Colonial Style Hot Chocolate

My modern version of 18th century hot chocolate.


I worked months on trying to get this right. I have used all modern items that can be purchased at the grocery store. Of course, you can change it to fit your taste, it won't hurt my feelings.

See my review of the pre-made brand American Heritage


1/2 cup Hershies Cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Mix together, then 
1 cup milk heated
3-4 tablespoons of mixture per cup stirring frequently.
Add 1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Enjoy.

(Makes 3-5 cups depending upon how much chocolate you want.)







I've noticed that the newer the powder, the stronger it is. So, measure accordingly.












I use a funnel to get it in the cup without making a mess. 




3 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I just tried a batch. It's not a sugary as the modern stuff. I think I'm going to bag some up and take it to work to replace my morning coffee.
    -Elroy
    http://18thcenturyman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady,

    Thank you, and I hope that you enjoy it. Please let me know your opinion when you try it. I must admit that I haven't tried the chocolate at Williamsburg, but only the packaged type. But, I look forward to letting me know how it measures to theirs. (I am sure not as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elroy,

    I am so excited that you like it! Thank you for letting me know. :D

    ReplyDelete

Great T-Shirts and More!


See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...