Monday, January 6, 2014

The Moment When I Became An Historian

I notice that I am thinking like a historian and not a student.



I just wanted to commemorate today for the rest of my life. This is when I was reading my book, Improper Pursuits and  found something that I want to include in one of my papers. So, I underlined it in my pencil, and made a note in the margin, just like I always do. However, what I did next was immediately look at the author. Is this a popular history book, or scholarly? Well, Carolina Hicks (the author) has a degree in Archaeology and Art History, and has a Ph.D. in Medieval Art and Iconography. She teaches Art History and has written at least one other book. The book's publisher is St. Martin's Press, a very reputable company. So, I absolutely CAN use this book. YAY.

However, what makes this a different day is that I thought to look for this information immediately, AND THEN I realized it. 

I also was looking up books on Google Books for my paper (that I think I'm gunna write), and what is the first thing I look for there? The publish date. I only looked for books published in the long 18th century (Georgian time period.) 

Again, it was automatic, not thought out! 

This may seem simple, but finally set in for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Great T-Shirts and More!


See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...